One of the most successful advertising techniques in the mobile app world is affiliate marketing, which compensates affiliates for advertising a company’s products and services. Businesses have been using this form of marketing to get more clicks and app downloads, and affiliates are happy to comply since they earn some extra money in the process.
A Nielsen report revealed that 61% of app users discover new applications through personal or professional referrals. This statistic suggests that mobile app affiliate marketing is one of the most successful advertising techniques. Indeed, despite being relatively new in the mobile world, affiliate marketing is quickly rising in popularity thanks to how effectively it is helping businesses expand their reach and increase their user base. Plus, it’s cost-effective and less likely to annoy users compared to other mobile marketing techniques. So, what exactly do you need to know to get started with mobile app affiliate marketing?
How to Approach Mobile App Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate marketing is especially powerful because it allows you to garner revenue from your app without promoting a third party in a distracting manner. Whereas users may find pop-ups or push notifications invasive, affiliate marketing uses links that don’t take up too much screen space and are relevant to the app users are immersed in.
This form of mobile marketing is also effective when it involves one app advertising another app in a manner that earns the latter app a commission every time the affiliate app is downloaded. These ads are not in your face the way some promotional content is; instead, companies use techniques that make their affiliate’s ads seem like a logical addition to the user’s digital library.
For example, you might add advertising content in the corner but only when it’s appropriate, such as including a link to a financial services company when the user is in the payment portal of the app. Or, you could work with an apparel retailer that advertises a dress style that may appeal to your users based on their demographics.
By creating this complementary scenario, users feel like they are immersed in a more organic digital environment, increasing the chances of them purchasing the new app and earning both companies additional revenue.
The Benefits of Strategic Partnerships
When an affiliate marketing partnership is successful, it can bolster your revenue without much hassle. The right network can drive traffic, improve security, and streamline the advertising process.
The latest statistical and payment tracking tools are more sophisticated than ever, helping reduce the chances of a partner attempting to manipulate the system and give you less than what you’ve actually earned. The best affiliate networks can protect your ROI by reducing the chances of these manipulations taking place. If you’re working with a major network, it can also help you recruit even more affiliates. In some cases, a big player in your industry will be involved in this affiliate network, thus shedding a considerable amount of light on your company.
The affiliate marketing model is the bread and butter of companies that have gone from practically nothing to amassing a market capitalization of over $10 billion, as is the case with Dropbox. The company went from a struggling file-sharing service to being worth more than $11 billion as of March 2018 thanks to its referral system, which offers an incentive to users who invite new users. The incentive program increased referrals by 60%, helping the company go from 100,000 users to 4 million users within 15 months and eventually reaching more than 500 million users. DropBox’s example goes to show just how powerful affiliate marketing can be in terms of bolstering a company’s revenue.
Choosing the Right Affiliate
Finding the right affiliate is critical, as some companies will try to cheat you, while others will simply not be compatible with your business. To narrow down your search, look for these qualities:
- Mobile Friendly: Since you’re hoping to promote your app, being mobile friendly is a must.
- Well-Connected: Your affiliate network should be connected to major affiliates that will truly help get your brand name out there. After all, only one out of every 100 affiliates will rake in high revenue figures.
- Morals: Ethics are important, so make sure you are on board with the affiliate marketing techniques your network promotes. Research the reputation of your affiliate network to ensure you’re not getting involved with a network that will paint your company in a negative light.
- A Good Deal: Some large affiliate networks can offer you more reach, but sometimes going for the smaller, niche ones can better help you expand your brand within your industry. Quality is more important than quantity in this regard, as remaining on-brand will help you reach your marketing goals. Don’t look just for the cheapest option but rather the one that will give you the most bang for your buck.
- Flexibility: You want to have the option of choosing which brand promotes your app rather than getting stuck with an affiliate you don’t connect with. You should look at various reward factors with an affiliate, including clicks, views, sales and installs rather than just clicks.
- Legitimacy: Be wary of deals that seem too good to be true, including affiliates that offer earnings per click that are well ahead of the average figures. Make sure the daily conversion rates are in line with your expected range. Some affiliates use duplicated IP addresses that lead to an overwhelmingly high number of conversions, so be careful.
When you consider all these factors, you’ll be able to leverage your mobile app development technology with that of other brands in order to promote your company through affiliate marketing. This is a proven advertising technique that’s on the rise, and it’s effectively increasing revenue for many companies without negatively impacting the app user experience.
If you’re hoping to use affiliate marketing techniques with your app, you will need a talented developer by your side. The team at SevenTablets specializes in custom app development and can provide guidance every step of the way to help you achieve your goals. We’re also experienced with emerging technologies, including augmented reality, virtual reality, artificial intelligence and natural language processing.
Lacey earned a B.A. from Baylor University. Sic'em!
Latest posts by Lacey Williams-McGhee (see all)
- 4 Ways Predictive Analytics Improve Real Estate Investing - October 4, 2018
- Blockchain for Real Estate: How are Companies Using This Technology? - September 27, 2018
- Can Predictive Analytics Minify Flu Season? - September 24, 2018