Despite the prevalence of smart phones and tablets these days, some companies are still hesitant to delve wholeheartedly into the world of mobile marketing through mobile apps. They feel unsure of how to approach mobile marketing, or they wonder if developing mobile apps will result in a real ROI.
The truth is that smart phones and tablets have forever changed the face of marketing. Mobile apps give businesses access to consumers in a hyper-targeted way. And their results? A higher response rate, and more immediate responses, than any other marketing method, period.
To demonstrate just how effective mobile marketing through mobile apps can be, we’ve assembled a list of 15 incredible mobile marketing statistics detailing just how widespread and influential mobile device use is in consumers’ lives—and buying habits.
- Of the 7 billion people on the planet, 5.1 billion own a cell phone—while only 4.2 billion own a toothbrush. (Mobile Marketing Association Asia, 2011)
- On average, it takes a person 90 minutes to respond to an email—but only 90 seconds to respond to a text. (CTIA.org, 2011)
- Mobile coupons are redeemed at ten times the rate of traditional coupons. (Mobile Marketer, 2012)
- 91% of all smart phone users keep their phone within arm’s reach 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. (Morgan Stanley, 2012)
- It takes 26 hours for the average person to report a lost wallet, but only 68 minutes for them to report a lost phone. (Unisys, 2012)
- Of the 70% of holiday shoppers who used a smart phone while in a retail store, 62% accessed that store’s mobile app or site. (ForeSee, 2013)
- Retailers who have mobile apps with a store mode produce five times more engagement. (Point Inside, 2013)
- Consumers spend their time using marketing apps according to the following percentages: 27% of their time is spent using retailers’ mobile apps, 20% using online marketplace apps, 17% utilizing purchase assistant apps, 14% making use of price comparison apps, and 13% using daily deal apps. (AdMedia Partners, 2013)
- In 2013, consumers spent 6 times as much time using retailers’ mobile apps as they did in 2012. (Flurry, 2013)
- Consumers are using mobile apps almost as much as they watch TV—127 minutes per day are now spent using apps, up 35% from 2011, while 168 minutes per day are spent watching television. (Flurry, 2012)
- 4 out of 5 consumers use smart phones to shop. (comScore, 2012)
- 25% of consumers only shop online via mobile, rather than on a laptop or desktop. (Prosper Mobile Insights, 2012)
- 33% of smart phone owners have shared their location with a retailer through a retail app. (comScore, 2012)
- 93% of consumers who use mobile apps in stores have made a purchase at a physical location in the last week, compared to only 84% of those who do not use mobile apps in stores. (Wave Collapse, 2012)
- 64% of affluent mobile app users say that they view brands with mobile apps more favorably than those without them. (Luxury Institute, 2012)
With statistics like these, it’s clear that mobile apps are the future of marketing. By tapping into this massive—and still rapidly growing—sector now, your business can successfully ride the wave of mobile marketing, instead of being swept away by it.
If you’re looking to develop a mobile app, the team at SevenTablets is ready to help. Our team takes great pride in our ability to leverage cutting-edge technologies in our custom software and mobile app development projects. Our developers are experts in creative UI/UX design, mobile security and mobile analytics.