In 2016, fourth quarter digital sales totaled $109.3 billion dollars in the U.S. This staggering number surpassed all prior records! Mobile eCommerce spending accounted for $22.7 billion of that figure, and experts predict these figures will continue to rise rapidly. In fact, there’s plenty of room for growth, as digital retail spending accounted for just 8 percent of the whopping $5 trillion dollars spent in the U.S. retail sector annually.
With mobile technology so intertwined with mainstream life, an increasing number of retailers and ecommerce companies are seeking to stake their claim in the virtual marketplace. As a result, we’re seeing more companies building mobile apps in the retail and ecommerce sector.
Developing an app targeted at the ecommerce and retail marketplace requires a comprehensive understanding of the user’s needs, desires and what constitutes a positive user experience. Security is also a major consideration, as shoppers must trust that an app is secure if they’re going to provide payment and personal information. So what should you be looking for as you search for a retail or shopping app developer?
A Retail or eCommerce App May Include the Following Features:
- Products, shopping cart and wishlist features: It should be easy for users to browse products, add them to their cart, and mark items of interest.
- Account management: Your platform may provide users with a portal where they can manage their account, which can include addresses and saved payment methods.
- Product/service recommendations: Developers can leverage predictive analytics to determine which products or services are likely to appeal to a particular user.
- Alerts and notifications: Users should receive relevant alerts and notifications, such as when a previously-out-of-stock item becomes available. You’ll also want to ensure it’s easy for staff to generate these notifications on the back-end.
- Tracking integration: A retail mobile app’s developers must tend to shipping company API integration, enabling the app to display tracking and shipping updates.
- Customer service portal: Shoppers must be able to contact customer support staff via the app interface. Conversely, your company may require a back-end portal where support staff can respond to customers.
SevenTablets has created many innovative apps in the sales and retail niche, with one of the most recent projects crafted for Rebel Athletic. The Rebel Athletic app allows customers to design and order custom cheerleading uniforms.
This app features a uniform design tool, which allows users to choose the style, design, fabric, color and graphics. Team captains can also order custom accessories. Users can then view proofs of their cheerleading uniforms online, making any final edits in an intuitive, convenient manner. Teams have the ability to see their past designs on an artboard, which makes re-orders simple. The Rebel Athletics app was designed to streamline the ordering experience for customers, while also making the order processing system more efficient.
The SevenTablets development team is available to build an engaging, innovative retail or eCommerce app that leverages the latest technology. We strive to surpass your expectations, whether it’s a custom design portal like our Rebel Athletics app or a fan portal—complete with a ticket sales platform and virtual team shop—like the one we created for the NBA Development League team, the Texas Legends.
We take a business-first approach to every project, meaning we work hard to build an app that meets your unique needs and goals. Plus, our clients enjoy benefits such as a high-tech mobile security interface with military-grade encryption.
Our company headquarters are in Dallas, with regional offices in Austin and Houston, although SevenTablets works with clients across the nation. If you’re ready to develop an ecommerce mobile app, contact SevenTablets today.
One Step Closer to the Next Level
Ready to build your perfect mobile solution or need guidance on how to get started? We’re excited to learn about your business and show you the way.
Fill out this short form and begin your digital transformation.